Hello everyone and welcome to my blog! Finally, I missed writing posts about life. All my recent posts were about self-hosting and it’s actually kind of draining because I really need to research for each post. But I think it’s really worth it as I’ve received a lot of good feedback from you especially those who want to go self-hosted as well!
Before we start, I’d like to emphasize that this quarantine is not a productivity contest. We are all affected by the pandemic and some might be going through a hard time because of it, so I am not in any way, pushing my beliefs into yours nor I am saying that you should work, because you’ll never get more free time than this. NO. I totally get that it’s actually really hard to work, study, or even do things when most of the things you hear in the news are bad. We all have different coping mechanisms and this post is just to share what I’ve been doing and probably some tips on how I stay productive in this trying time.
What I’ve Been Doing This Quarantine
- Creating digital art on Procreate.
Here’s a fun story behind how I started: In the early days of March 2020, I had so many academic readings, my laptop wasn’t working well and my phone is too small for me to read- plus, I can’t really read on my phone as there are a lot of distractions. After a lot of convincing, my parents finally decided to buy me a budget iPad and I’m completely in love with it. I was supposed to buy a keyboard for it as I was really looking for a substitute when my laptop doesn’t work, but they decided to just get me an Apple Pencil and that’s where the magic began.
I first downloaded Autodesk Sketchbook which also has a lot of pens and brushes and I love its blend brushes. Then I went on Youtube to watch tutorials and most of the tutorials are for Procreate, so I decided to just buy it as well… and it’s definitely worth it. As much as I want to create digital art everyday, there are some days that I don’t feel the want and the need to, and I just let it pass. When I’m feeling alright again, I continue doing so and I’m so happy to see my progress.
You can see my artworks in this category page: My Artworks (May 2020 Artworks coming soon!)
- Philosophy readings and note taking!
Since I’m a philosophy major and my program can be really too difficult at times, I need to read. I am currently reading everything about Soren Kierkegaard (a Christian existentialist philosopher) whose works are really important for the later existentialists like Nietzsche and Camus.
So far, I really like how Kierkegaard, despite being a Christian himself, attacked Christendom or Christianity as a political and social entity. He emphasized that a genuine Christian must be really Christ-like, really following the teachings of Jesus than just being a member of Christendom wherein you follow established set of norms and rules that the “Christians in Christendom” just made. If ever you want to read Kierkegaard and his philosophy, I recommend reading Kierkegaard: An Introduction by Stephen Evans. For starters, it really helped me a lot.
I’m not used to digital note taking but since almost all of my notebooks are left in Manila and all I have is my Apple iPad and Pencil, I thought to use it in the best way that I can. I use OneNote as it’s free and here’s an example of how I take notes:
- Blog writing and reading
I noticed that I’m really focusing more on my blog this quarantine. Ever since I started my new self-hosted blog, I wrote and published every other day. Of course, I can’t keep this up when university starts again, so I’m really writing as much as I could now.
And anyway, thank you all so much for 1900 followers!!! I reached it the other day and I’m really really happy! I love meeting new people here, so thank you so much! Of all the good and quality content blogs here in WordPress, you chose me to be one of your following! I’m so glad and I deeply appreciate it! 🙂
Don’t forget that you are invited to a blog party on May 30, 2020! For more information, check this post: You Are Invited!
- A little bit of house improvement
Since this quarantine started, one of the thoughts I always have is how to improve my room, how to make it look good and so on. My mom and I decided to purchase wallpapers from Lazada so that we’d have something new in our house and yesterday, I started painting the walls of our house white. I’m actually super happy with how it’s turning out! And to think that I’m responsible for painting, it makes me so happy!
And aside from sleeping, video calls with my Kuyas (brothers) abroad, bonding with family and keeping up with my best friend, I think that’s all that I have been constantly doing this quarantine.
Tips To Stay Productive
And now, for the tips! Again, we all have different coping mechanisms and if you’re finding it hard to work this pandemic, it’s totally okay and acceptable!
- Fix your bed. As soon as you wake up, fix your bed and get out of it! I swear it really works. Eat your breakfast, have coffee or drink water and just don’t stay in your room. Your bed is a huge magnet so don’t be tempted, unless you really want to sleep more! I noticed that I could do a lot of artworks when I stay in the living room.
- Have a guide or plan it out. Hey, what are those planners doing there? Use it! You can list the things you want to accomplish for the day. Start writing after your morning breakfast or coffee so that you will have a guide for the whole day. When you feel like you’re not doing anything anymore, look at your planner again and do something that you have listed!
- Wash your face, hands or take a bath. Water is just really refreshing. There are times when I feel completely unmotivated but after washing my face, hands or taking a bath, I feel that I need to do something that leads me to productivity.
- Don’t stay too much on your phone. Phones and social media, are always one of the distractions. You can practice disciplining yourself by not using your phone even though you can see it. Surprisingly, it really works for me. Just check your phone a little bit from time to time because there might be something important happening and of course, you need to know.
- Drink water. It is super important to stay hydrated, so always keep a glass or a bottle of water by your side! Especially now that it’s summer and it’s really hot, always remember to drink water! It can also, magically, boost your motivation.
There you go, thank you so much for reading! It feels so long already since I last written a lifestyle post that I’ve missed writing it, lol.
What are you up to this quarantine? How do you manage to stay productive?
Share it in the comments below! 🙂